Monday, January 10, 2011

Soundtrack to 2010 - Music That Saved My Life

I hate those 'time flies' rants so I won't do one, but I will say that it really is hard to believe it's already 2011.

These are songs that made up the soundtrack to my life over the past year, not necessarily from this year, or from this decade for that matter.

Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
When I first heard this song, I must've rushed home and listened to it another five times just to hear every word and every note. I drink it in every time it plays, and seeing them sing it live was enough to turn this into an all-time favourite.

                          
Florence and the Machine - Dog Days
This was THE song of the year. You aren't doing it justice unless it's full blast, so you can hear the fantastic instrumentals, paired with probably one of the most gorgeous rock vocals of the last few years, courtesy of Florence Welch.

                          
Kate Nash - Kiss that Grrrl
Addictive, you WILL be singing along.


Penny and the Quarters - You and Me
If you don't recognize it, it's the song Ryan's character plays for Michelle's character, in Blue Valentine. It's hypnotic - I love it.



Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine
I've loved this song forever, I mean, IT IS Otis. And if you can remember, it's playing in the background when Baby visits Johnny's room in Dirty Dancing.


Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Very few songs have the ability to make you feel like it's the first time you've ever heard it, each time you listen to it. This is one of those songs.


Eminem - Love the Way You Lie
I know, it's so overplayed, but for whatever reason, this is one song I NEVER change the station from. It epitomizes the genius that is Eminem, his passionate and reckless nature, and the crazy we all know is in him. Although it is scary to hear him verbalize the abusive things he's thinking, it's a kind of destructive poetry, even WITH Rihanna on the track. She should just stick to singing other peoples' choruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment