Wednesday, August 25, 2010

2010 Emmy Picks

Personal Disclaimer: I am completely obsessed with TV, but I openly favour cable over network shows, for their freedom of creativity and all-around disdain for recycled material.

If I sit and go through all the notable categories, I will literally be writing for days, so instead, I’ll just highlight on a few main categories that I have an opinion on.  As per usual, I expect the Emmy’s to mimic the Globes so we’ll probably see a lot of the same winners.

Outstanding Drama Series
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Dexter (Showtime)
Mad Men (AMC)
Lost (ABC)
The Good Wife (CBS)
True Blood (HBO)

The Outstanding Drama category is a tough one for me, and I’m thrilled that it has recognized Dexter, Mad Men and True Blood.  Although I love True Blood, the Mary Anne storyline was pretty far-fetched and annoying last season, while Dexter and Mad Men kept me wanting more. (and more and more). Dexter, for its ability to keep us on edge and managing to keep such a shocking twist under-wraps until the finale, and Mad Men, for taking us into a new era for its characters, with topics like divorce and depression, and Don’s ability to somehow, still make the audience love him despite his many shortcomings.  While we impatiently wait for season 5 to start, take a look what’s to come for our dear Dexter.
My pick: Dexter


Outstanding Comedy Series 
30 Rock (NBC)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Glee (FOX)
Modern Family (ABC)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
The Office (NBC)

What a great year for fresh, new, comedies!  This being the year of GLEE, I can’t ignore the fact that they’re the fan favourite, even with the gimmicky shift felt after the unnecessarily long, mid-season break.  But, as a diehard Nurse Jackie fan (Edie Falco, you will always and forever be my Carmela), I love the show’s ability to make serious issues absolutely hilarious, especially with Dr. Coop, who steals the show. (Peter Facinelli, yes ladies, Carlisle Cullen)  How this guy ended up being THIS FUNNY, I have no idea, but I find myself looking forward to every scene he’s in.  This year will, however, go to Modern Family, with a very interesting and funny portrayal of the modern-day idea of what a family is.  Don’t get me wrong, I watch and love Modern Family, but it’s sad that really off-the-wall, dark comedies don’t get credit where they should.
My pick: Modern Family



Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Bryan Cranston on Breaking Bad (AMC)
Michael C. Hall on Dexter (Showtime)
Kyle Chandler on Friday Night Lights (DirecTV)
Hugh Laurie on House (Fox)
Matthew Fox on Lost (ABC)
Jon Hamm on Mad Men (AMC)

I’m torn between Michael C. Hall, whom I love as dark and demented Dexter Morgan and Jon Hamm, (my favourite sinner since Tony Soprano) from Mad Men.  Michael C. Hall will definitely take this one, he won the Globe, and he was phenomenal as his character has come close as he probably ever will, to feeling love and loss for (spoiler alert!) his wife, who he found brutally murdered in the season finale. 
My pick: Michael C. Hall

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series 
Lea Michele on Glee (FOX)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus on The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
Edie Falco on Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
Amy Poehler on Parks And Recreation (NBC)
Tina Fey on 30 Rock (NBC)
Toni Collette on United States of Tara (Showtime)

This is getting super super long-winded so let me just highlight on a few other memorable performances this past year.  Toni Collette MUST WIN for Actress in a comedy, for her role in United States of Tara.  She’s amazing, able to channel various different characters switching at the drop of a hat.  And she won the Globe for her role, so deservingly. 
My pick: Toni Collette



Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Sharon Gless on Burn Notice (USA)
Rose Byrne on Damages (FX)
Archie Panjabi on The Good Wife (CBS)
Christine Baranski on The Good Wife (CBS)
Christina Hendricks on Mad Men (AMC)
Elisabeth Moss on Mad Men (AMC)

We saw a different side of Christina Hendricks’ character this past season.  She had more than two dimensions, emotions which she had previously kept tightly hidden from her colleagues and lovers.  We saw beneath the surface at the first generation of the feminist, but with a twist.  Instead of hating men and being pro-woman, she uses what she has been given as a woman (ahem, those gorgeous curves!!!) to her advantage.  I love her. And her red hair.
My pick (duh): Christina Hendricks



Enough with the rambling, tune in this Sunday, August 29th to find out if any of my favourites take home a statue!

No comments:

Post a Comment